The Top 6 Reasons to Sell Your Home During the Holidays
Should you sell your home during the holidays? I believe the answer is yes, and here are the top six reasons why:
- You will face less competition. There are fewer sellers on the market this time of year, which means your home will have fewer homes to compete with. One of the common myths in real estate is that you should wait until school is out to put your home on the market. The thing is, that is exactly what most people will do. You can get an edge over the competition by listing when there is only a handful of other properties on the market.
- Buyers are serious. In the spring and summer, some buyers are just getting their feet wet and trying to decide whether or not they want to buy a house. In the wintertime, buyers are strapping on their snow boots and coming to your house because they are ready to buy today. It won’t take as many showings to find the right buyer in the winter.
- Homes show really well this time of year. Nothing says home like the holidays. All consumer decisions are based on emotions first and are then justified by logic, so people become very emotionally attached to holiday themes. They envision having their family in your house over the holidays and cozying up to the fire with their family. Another way to appeal to buyers’ emotions is to bake some apple pie, cookies, or bread. These scents bring back memories and create a positive attraction to your home.
- Buyers have more time off at this time of year. Everyone takes time off during the holidays, which gives buyers more time to look at your home. They will be able to make it to more daytime showings, which works great for sellers and makes things easier for buyers who have to work those tough 9-to-5 jobs.
- There will be more competition after the holidays. If you are planning on selling your home, do it during the holidays. Most sellers will wait until right after the holidays to put their home on the market. In the second week of January, there will be a surge of homes on the market. My recommendation to you is to list now and beat the surge.
- You can sell now but move after the holidays. You can put your property on the market in November, get a contract in December, and then you have 35 to 45 days before the buyer moves in. That means you can spend the holidays in your home and be secure in the knowledge that you have a contract on your home.
There are many benefits to putting your home on the market during the holiday season. If you have any questions about getting your home ready for the market or about real estate in general, give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!