Here are our top six home renovation projects best left to professionals.
DIY projects are great, but there are some things you should leave to the professionals. Jennifer Worley and I have seen it all, so today we want to go over the top six projects you shouldn’t try and do yourself.
1. Installing molding. Installing molding can add a ton of value to your home, but it’s a lot trickier than it seems. Getting in between all the tiny spaces is something best left to a professional.
2. Refinishing floors. It is extensive work to rip carpet out and refinish floors. On top of that, once you have everything ripped up, it is easy to mess something up while putting everything back. If you don’t want nails sticking out of your carpet, hire a professional.
3. Electrical work. This one should be self-explanatory, but electrical work can be dangerous if not done correctly. Professionals are trained to do this work without putting you or themselves at risk.
“Shotty DIY work can lower your home’s value in the long run.“
4. Tiling kitchens or bathrooms. There’s something about the design and layout of these spaces that makes tiling very difficult to get even. We can always tell when one of these areas was tiled DIY from the wavy pattern.
5. Roofing. With a professional roofing crew, this project takes a day or two. By yourself, it is a hassle and a hazard. Not only do you need to deal with the weather, but the risk involved also makes this an easy choice to outsource.
6. Anything that requires a permit. This practically goes without saying, but if something requires a permit, there’s probably a good reason. If you do DIY work that usually requires a permit, it could lower your home’s value in the long run.
If you have any questions about DIY work, staging, or anything else related to real estate, do not hesitate to reach out to us via phone or email. We are always happy to help!