Here are our top ten home maintenance mistakes you should avoid.
Today I’m talking with Jennifer Worley about home maintenance items you shouldn’t neglect. It’s easy to let these slip under the radar, but they could affect the value of your home:
1. Using traditional light bulbs. We know new light bulbs are expensive, but in the long run, they could save you money. Not only do buyers prefer them to the old style, but they also last longer and use less electricity.
2. Letting a faucet leak for too long. If you have a leaky sink or tub, you should get it fixed immediately. Water damage is no joke, so don’t mess around with leaks.
3. Forgetting your thermostat. Adjust your thermostat so you are comfortable without burning a hole in your pocket. If you don’t want to think about it, you could always invest in a smart thermostat that changes the temperature on its own.
4. Using the wrong-sized air filter. Typically when your home is built, the builder will write what size air filter you should use. Please, use the size that is written down. It will save you lots of headaches in the future.
5. Having unadjusted HVAC vents. Make sure your HVAC vents are adjusted seasonally. Also, keeping them closed too often will cause a lot of unnecessary pressure.
You’d be surprised how much money you can save by properly heating your home.
6. Overwatering your lawn. We all know underwatering your lawn leads to yellow grass, but overwatering your lawn can be just as bad. Too much water can lead to mold, fungi, and a high water bill.
7. Not checking your water heater’s temperature. In the middle of summer, consider lowering the temperature of your water heater. It can save you a surprising amount of gas money.
8. Leaving windows and doors leaky. Caulking your windows can save you a ton of money on wear and tear over the years. It makes it cheaper to heat and cool your home as well.
9. Hiring a handyman when it’s not necessary. For bigger projects, you should call a professional. However, smaller DIY projects can easily be completed by watching a YouTube video or two.
10. Neglecting your roof. When you fix your roof, we recommend you hire a professional. Before it gets to that point, you can do a lot to protect your roof by checking in on it now and then. For example, after a storm, you should check for damages.
These are the 10 most common mistakes we see, but the list could be much longer. If you have questions about today’s topic or anything else related to real estate, please reach out to us via call or email. We would love to talk to you!