How Should You Prepare Before You List?
If you plan on selling your home this year, there are a couple things you must do to prepare. Every market is different, but these tips will certainly apply regardless of your area.
1. Add a fresh coat of paint. Buyers these days begin their search online, so you want to make sure your home looks as good in person as it does in your virtual listing. A fresh, neutral coat of paint will go a long way.
2. Clean up. Pressure-washing the exterior of your home, cleaning the windows, and adding planters with flowers can all make your home much more attractive to buyers. These and many other little touches will help your property stand out.
3. Plan a great marketing strategy. You’ve got to cast a broad net to capture the most buyers possible. Marketing to a wide number of buyers will allow you to sell your home for a high price and in a low amount of time. A great marketing strategy is a worthwhile investment. It makes sure no money is left on the table.
4. Interview real estate agents. If you’re interested in working with an agent, interview several before making a decision. Ask them about their track record, their strategies, and what they would highlight about your home. If you’re interested, I do have a list of the top 10 questions to ask potential agents that I would be happy to send you. So, feel free to get in touch.
5. Price correctly. To make sure you set a price that is fair and competitive, look at homes in your area that have sold in the last 90 days and compare them to your property. The homes you look at should be similar in age, lot-size, and style. Beyond looking at past sales, you should also look at the active competition on the market. Look at homes that are pending and see how long they were on the market before accepting an offer. All of this information will help you determine the best price possible.
6. Toss any junk. If you’re going to move anyway, why not get a head start on getting rid of the things you don’t need? Packing and decluttering will give your home an open feel. Remove anything that isn’t decorative from the flat surfaces in your home, including counters, bookshelves, desks, cabinets, and more.
7. Stay on top of the market. In order to be successful in the market, you need to have an idea of what’s been going on. Brush up on current and past trends and statistics. The real estate market can and will change quickly, so it’s good to stay current in your understanding of market conditions.
If you would like additional tips or have any other questions, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.